BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) - Broadmeadow Mine Control System
BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA)
Broadmeadow Mine Control System
BMA's punch longwall underground operation on the Goonyella Riverside lease commenced longwall mining in August 2005. Unlike most underground operations which rely on extensive, high cost development works, Broadmeadow accesses the seam direct into the highwall of an open cut pit on the Goonyella lease
Broadmeadow's coal is conveyed from the mine to a stockpile area at the top of the ramp, where it is trucked to the Goonyella wash plant.
Using our LongView SCADA based on Citect, VRT has been responsible for the design, installation and upkeep of this SCADA system. This project has showcased the benefits of utilizing an integrated back-end SQL database in managing and configuring a CitectSCADA system.
The LongView system and component oriented design enables the control system to be adapted quickly to the ever changing needs of an operational Longwall mine. Emphasis has been placed on providing quick and easy tools for onsite personnel to tailor the system to their individual requirements without the need for explicit Citect knowledge.
VRT's relationship with BMA goes back to 1993 when we designed and installed MacroView SCADA for the Goonyella and Riverside Coal Preparation Plants. MacroView was utilised to provide information links between Maintenance, Operations, Laboratory, Metallurgy and Management, with remote support from BHP's Mackay laboratory.
- SCADA Pages 550+
- IO points 25,000 – 30,000 depending on required equipment
- Alarms 8,000+
- Trends 3,000+
- SQL Server database with replication
- Shift events, and other calendar triggers
- Remote Access
- Logging, Alarm history, user actions, system events
- Reports Web based & Citect (20+)
- Version control
- Centralised Citect node & Citect INI management
- Shift events, and other calendar events
- Dual Citect servers in redundant architecture
- SQL server with replication to five MSDE Installations
- Citrix Server hosting up to 20 Citect manager Clients
- Citect Engineering Workstation
- Control room Workstation with Dual monitors
- Plant Portal (Web based reporting and system overview)
- Local underground Citect network with auto configuring primary/standby servers
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLCs.
- SQL Server